Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Older we get....

You know, there was a time, a simpler time when my generation was between the ages of 5-10 years old.  We didn’t have to worry about things like bills, gas, food, and other such things that adults had to worry about, no, we had it easy.  There was something about that time though, that I remember very distinctly, it was something that I said a lot, especially to my parents, I couldn’t’ wait to go up.  It was something that I dreamed about, not having to answer to my parent s, not having a bed time, being able to drive and having my own car, and living by myself and having my own stuff, no more sharing with my brother and sister, it would all be mine.   I remember telling these things to my grandmother when I was younger and she said that it was all well and good to think like that, as little kids will do that, but she told me to enjoy this part of life now for when its gone and you have all those responsibilities, that care free life will most likely not materialize ever again. 

Being the stupid little kid that I was, I didn’t believe her, I thought that being a grown up will come with all sorts of perks and I’ll just make so to do well in my engineering job and make a whole bunch of money working at GM and still be able to live the care free life that I enjoyed then.  Little did I realize that it would all hit me in a very hard way that old people know what they’re talking about? 

I said those things back in 1994 when I was about seven years old, just starting to realize the world and what went on in it.  Looking back on that year now, I never thought it would get to this or get so bad.  I find myself now 21 wishing I was still a kid with my only worries being what new toy I wanted, will I get the new game for the Sega Saturn.  And as far as school was, the only worry I had there was the basic math homework I had to finish and wondering what me and my friends would do for recess the next day or which one of my toys I should bring with me.  

But now in 2009 things don’t look the same from when I was seven and now at twenty one: the company that I wanted to work for GM, has all but been run into the ground financially, I have bills to pay, my college courses are getting harder by the semester and I have social issues to deal with that I never envisioned I would have as a kid.  I think thought the one thing that trips me out the most is the fact that a lot of my friends I grew up with or had back in school are having kids now, only when I realized that people I knew, my age were either getting married or having kids (by the way, I also feel terrible about that order too) it hit me in a way that I wasn’t ready for.  It forced me to realize that I myself am not a kid anymore, by mental and governmental standers; I am an adult and must put away my childish things. 

It’s sad really, to have to make that full transition but that’s how life is, it’s forever moving and changing and you have to move with it and still try to find time to enjoy it and just be thankful for even getting to this part in your life now. 

Well till next time, I’m out: Like I’m about to hop in the DeLorean and go Back to the Future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont give up super slave, just keep buying those lotto tickets like me. If you when those care free will return...with a vengence.